I'm an experienced writer, qualified adult education teacher, literary mentor and advocate for marginalised artists/writers. I'm highly experienced in facilitating and supporting others' creativity and in engaging 'hard to reach' and social excluded people. I'm also a passionate advocate for increasing people's health and wellbeing, whatever their age.
· Established and grown a charity (www.creativefuture.org.uk) over 11 years to an organisation of 7 staff, 25 freelancers, 30 volunteers p.a. and a turnover of £250k p.a.
· Over £1.2 million awarded to Creative Future from Arts Council England, The Big Lottery, the European Social Fund, local authorities etc. for work with marginalised artists/writers. I personally wrote 70% of these bids ? totalling over £850,000.
· Designed and overseen the delivery of the Creative Future professional development programme for artists ? including workshops, courses, masterclasses, mentoring and events programme ? 100?s of activities engaging 5000+ people since 2007, 1000+ p.a.
· Chair of Brighton & Hove Arts & Cultural Industries Commission Health & Wellbeing Working Group ? co-ordinating meetings of arts & health professionals in the city.
· Creative writing, travel writing, photography, literacy and art to adults of all ages and abilities for over 15 years.
· Design, craft and art to children and adults as a carnival education worker in inner city schools and community centres nationwide (2 years). Yoga and mindfulness via my new company www.wellbalancedkids.co.uk (ages 6-12).
· Concise & clear verbal and written communicator with a portfolio of published work.
· Highly experienced in informal, formal assessment, supervision, recruitment, mentoring, trained in counselling and NLP techniques.
· Highly experienced in working with people with learning & physical disabilities, emotional behavioural problems, mental health, drug and alcohol issues.
2007- Present Founder & Director, Creative Future, Brighton
Director of a charity that trains, develops and promotes under-represented artists and writers. www.creativefuture.org.uk. Artistic direction, strategy & fundraising for an organisation that works with 1000 people a year and delivers national showcase events seen by over 250,000+ people.
2003 - 2007 Writer in Residence & Project Manager, First Base Arts Project,
Writer in Residence & Project Management of an arts project at a day centre for homeless people, including: artistic direction, fundraising, planning & supervision of 11 freelance staff.
2004 - 2012 Creative Writing Tutor, BBC Southern Counties, City College, Brighton
Museum, QueenSpark Books, New Writing South Devising & delivering
creative writing workshops and courses
Mentor LAPIDUS Brighton. Guidance on therapeutic writing groups.
2004 - 2006 Administrator Pier Playwrights, (now New Writing South) Brighton
Organising training & providing on-line information for writers.
2003 - 2005 Travel Writing Lecturer Adult Education, City College, Brighton. Teaching travel writing to adults of all abilities.
2002 - 2005 Writer/Facilitator Big Issue, Brighton Teaching creative writing, art and photography to homeless adults.
2000-2001 Student. MA in Creative Writing at UEA.
1998 - 2010 Freelance writer. The Guardian, Rough Guide?s Women Travel & a variety of international magazines. Articles on Caribbean culture, engaging marginalised people & therapeutic writing. Co-writer of carnival education pack, Luton Carnival Development Committee.
1997 - 2009 Author. Rough Guide to Trinidad and Tobago. Research, writing, photography, cartography, editing and proof reading.
1996 - 1999 Carnival Artist/Supervisor. Callaloo Carnival Company. Trinidad. Construction and supervision of carnival costume production.
1994 - 1996 Carnival Artist. PBCC Mobile Unit. London.
Costume construction & teaching carnival construction methods.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
I have an MA in Creative Writing from the UEA, a degree in government & history from the LSE & a variety of GCSEs and A-Levels. I also have a PGCE in adult education from Brighton University & am a trained children's yoga teacher.